Interesting Things To Know

Saturday 2 April 2016

Reverberations - On Grace

On Grace....

It's always fascinated me, the fluidity of grace. 
Always moving, always necessary, always foundational, always absolute.

I receive grace from the Lord. I am to bestow grace upon others. In turn, they then can receive the Lord's grace AND bestow grace on their others. Always in motion. It amazes me really.

Like I said earlier, I have a number of reading plans on the go at the moment. I read from all of them every day. I have a number that I chose to start that specifically devote scripture, prayer and discussion to the subject of refugees, displaced peoples and those without a home. They are really extremely powerful portions, and surprisingly so much time in scripture showing the love God wants shown to those ones.

In one of those plans this morning, I read this:


1 Samuel 23:16-18 NASB


And Jonathan, Saul's son, arose and went to David at Horesh, and encouraged him in God. Thus he said to him, "Do not be afraid, because the hand of Saul my father will not find you, and you will be king over Israel and I will be next to you; and Saul my father knows that also." So the two of them made a covenant before the Lord ; and David stayed at Horesh while Jonathan went to his house.

So, the reason this passage is in my reading about refugees is because at this point in David's life, he has already been anointed and told he will become King, but Saul is still on the throne and looking to kill him. David has no home. He's living in the 'strongholds' in the wilderness. There's so much about this story. David, himself, is a mind-blowing character to study. 

Today, however, what moves me is the other guy. The guy we hardly ever hear sermons about. I remember my Youth Pastor talking about this guy's disabled son, whom David took care of in later years, but since those days, I don't hear much about this guy.

This guy, in the natural, would have been next in line for the throne. This guy, in the natural, should have fought for the family honour. This guy, in the natural, should have been eaten up with jealousy over David. David had the ear of the king, this guy's father. David played the harp, sang and eased the king's troubled mind before sleep, hence spending a lot of time with the man. David had received a direct word from the prophet Samuel that eventually he would be king. 

What does this guy do??

No jealousy. No self-service. No immaturity here. 

Jonathan seeks David out in the wilderness. He leaves his home to go where David is hiding. He finds a weary and worn soldier, who must feel like he's being attacked on every side,....because in truth he was being attacked that way by armies against Israel. On top of that, being hunted down by the king to be killed. Weary and worn. 

I had to reread what Jonathan said to David about five times to let it sink in to me. This son, this guy, this Jonathan, who doesn't get a ton of airtime, he encouraged him in God. He hunts him down in the wilderness. Jonathan reminds him of who he is, who God has called him to be, and reminds David of his belief and support. 

Hmmm.

No jealousy of someone else's position. No self-service. No immaturity. Just brotherhood. Support. Encouragement to a brother who is down. 

When I look around me, there are many who are working very hard at their calling. Doing the best they can, actually. When I look around me, I see lots of friends who get weary and worn. I see those who feel like there is attack happening on every side. 

Ashamedly, I must admit that I am no Jonathan. I have not made that effort to seek out those who God has placed in positions, who maybe could use some encouragement, who maybe could just use someone to remind them who they are, who God has called them to be, and just maybe, God is asking me to support them. Not for any personal gain. But just because I am their sister. Because we sometimes need reminding of who and whose we are. Because that's why God gave us to each other in the first place.

We live in an 'every person for themselves' world.  This is not Christ's way. This was never God's way,....even back to this guy's day. This should not be my way. 

And then, in another plan today,......this:


1 John 3:16-18 NASB

16 We know love by this, that He laid down His life for us; and we ought to lay down our lives for the brethren. 17 But whoever has the world's goods, and sees his brother in need and closes his heart against him, how does the love of God abide in him? 18 Little children, let us not love with word or with tongue, but in deed and truth.


Showing love in deed and truth. Not jealousy at someone's position or journey towards that position. Showing love in deed and truth. Not self-service just to gain attention.
Showing love in deed and truth. In maturity and grace.

The amazing thing about grace, to me, is its fluidity. It flows to me in spades from the Father. Then it SHOULD flow out, in fact OVERFLOW from me to others. 


Father, please let me pour out the enormous grace you've shown me, all over someone else. Let me heap your goodness and kindness and prayer and support and love all over someone in leadership, or on their way to leadership, or just in the background quietly working out their calling. Forgive my jealousy, my self-service, my immaturity. Lead me to them and help me to hold nothing back.






No comments: